- College of William & Mary (B.S., Chemistry, 2002; magna cum laude)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, 2008)
- University of Virginia (J.D., 2011; Managing Editor, Virginia Environmental Law Journal 2010-11)
Bar Admissions & Memberships
- District of Columbia
Ryan Carra uses his extensive technical background to counsel clients in the chemicals, products, and energy sectors regarding environmental regulatory issues. Ryan’s experience includes:
- Advising clients on Toxic Substances Control Act matters, including implementation of the 2016 reform legislation.
- Advising product manufacturers, retailers, and other clients on extended producer responsibility, waste classification, chemical hazard classification, chemical notification requirements, and product materials restrictions both domestically and abroad.
- Reviewing marketing materials and drafting internal guidance documents for companies seeking to ensure compliance with environmental marketing enforcement guidance around the globe, including the Federal Trade Commission’s Green Guides.
- Negotiating with Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Justice officials on Clean Air Act Prevention of Significant Deterioration enforcement matters.
- Briefing a National Environmental Policy Act matter in both federal district and appellate courts.
- Working closely with federal regulators to draft environmental covenants containing complex land use restrictions.
In law school, Ryan served as Managing Editor of the Virginia Environmental Law Journal. Prior to law school, Ryan received his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where his thesis work focused on the synthesis of biologically active organic molecules.
Ryan was recognized as a “Rising Star” in the 2016-2017 editions of Super Lawyers