- Rutgers University (B.S., Environmental Science and Policy, summa cum laude, 1986)
- University of Virginia (J.D., 1991; Member, Virginia Environmental Law Journal)
Bar Admissions & Memberships
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals: Fourth Circuit, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts: Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
Mr. Anderson uses his experience as a former federal prosecutor to defend corporations and individuals against government investigations and prosecutions, primarily involving environmental and regulatory crimes. In addition to defense services, he provides corporate compliance counseling. He helps lead the Firm's White Collar and Environmental Crimes Practice Group. The legal services he offers clients include:
- Managing all matters to prepare the strongest possible case in anticipation of trial while also working to secure dismissal/closure of investigation.
- Negotiating favorable plea agreements.
- Conducting internal investigations.
- Preparing presentations to prosecutors to favorably influence their broad discretion and decline prosecutions.
- Overseeing responses to grand jury subpoenas and search warrants.
- Developing and assessing the effectiveness of corporate compliance programs.
Examples of Mr. Anderson’s environmental crimes defense experience include:
- Representing a real estate development company and its executive in a federal criminal investigation of CWA and RCRA violations arising from on-site industrial demolition activities. Following an internal investigation, the federal prosecutor declined to prosecute.
- Defending a food grease recycling company and its executive charged with CWA felonies. Successfully negotiated a probationary sentence for the individual and a nominal fine for the company.
- Conducting an internal investigation following a pipeline rupture and release into a river. Felony charges were avoided, with a misdemeanor plea and fine.
- Representing a crew member/engineer of a cruise ship in an investigation relating to illegal bilge water discharges. No criminal charges were brought against this individual.
Examples of Mr. Anderson’s more general, white collar defense experience include:
- Defending a hedge fund manager in a federal fraud and tax investigation.
- Defending a dentist accused of criminal tax evasion.
- Defended an executive accused of securities fraud involving a $2.9 billion loss, and a related obstruction of justice, in two separate, multi-week trials.
- Defended a tax lawyer accused of tax crimes arising from his counseling of off-shore trusts. After a lengthy trial, the jury acquitted the client of all charges.
- Defended various executives in various criminal antitrust investigations in the carbon graphite industry, the rubber belt manufacturing industry, and the shipping industry.
- Represented one of the Duke Lacrosse players in state criminal investigation and successfully avoided criminal charges to be brought, and helped manage and respond to the high-profile media campaign.
Mr. Anderson’s two decades in the federal criminal arena – on both sides of the aisle - uniquely qualify him to counsel clients in a wide range of environmental and regulatory crimes matters. After completing his clerkship for the Hon. Graham Mullen, U.S. District Court Judge in W.D.N.C., he was selected into the Honors Program at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., and served as a federal prosecutor in the Environmental Crimes Section.
During his tenure, Mr. Anderson received the U.S. Attorney General’s Special Achievement Award. In that specialized capacity, he gained trial experience in highly complex prosecutions; developed a deep understanding of all environmental criminal statutes; received invaluable insight into how prosecutors investigate and evaluate cases; and developed strong relationships with agencies and investigators.
Mr. Anderson also served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Western District of North Carolina (Charlotte), where he gained additional trial experience in a variety of broader white collar crime matters.
Following his government service, Mr. Anderson has gained invaluable experience in a variety of national law firms, as well as his own boutique federal criminal trial practice. Aside from environmental and regulatory crimes, he has extensive experience defending charges involving all types of fraud (bank; mortgage; mail and wire; healthcare), as well as violations relating to tax, antitrust, securities.
Mr. Anderson is an adjunct faculty member at Charlotte School of Law, and regularly speaks and writes on a variety of topics including trial advocacy, federal criminal law, business crimes defense, and corporate compliance counseling.
- ABA White Collar Crime Section Environmental Crimes Subcommittee (2012-present)
- Board Certified in Corporate Compliance (CCEP) through the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE)
- Selected as Top Criminal Defense Lawyer, Business North Carolina, Legal Elite (2013)
- One of three finalists for the U.S. Attorney post in the W.D.N.C. (2009)
- "AV" Rating in Martindale-Hubbell, rated by peers and members of the judiciary (since 2004)
- Permanent Member, Judicial Conference, U.S. Fourth Circuit
- Center for Professional and Applied Ethics, UNC-Charlotte, Advisor (2010 - Present)
- United Family Services, Board Member (2002 - 2009)
- Men for Change (Domestic Violence Victims' Advocacy Group), Chairman (2002)
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Vice President (1997 - 1999)
- Numerous Selections to "Legal Elite," "Super Lawyers," & "Best Lawyers in America"
- "40 Under 40" Award Winner, Charlotte Business Journal (2003)
- E. Randolph Williams Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service (1996-1999)
Experience listed here includes work done at prior law firms.