- Pomona College (B.A., International Relations and Politics, 2003)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2010)
Bar Admissions & Memberships
- District of Columbia
- Hispanic Bar Association of D.C.
- Women’s Council on Energy and the Environment
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
Hana Vizcarra represents clients in complex environmental litigation matters arising under state and federal statutes and common law claims. Ms. Vizcarra also counsels clients on environmental compliance and regulatory matters and environmental aspects of transactions. She has worked with clients in energy (exploration and production, midstream, and refining), power production, technology, transportation, mining and other industries. Her practice also includes counseling clients on international regulatory developments.
Hana's experience includes: 1
- Complex civil litigation matters involving the Clean Air Act, CERCLA, RCRA, and other state and federal environmental laws such as:
- Defending a Clean Air Act citizen suit also involving state tort claims for which Ms. Vizcarra briefed motions regarding fact and expert discovery issues, worked with expert witnesses, managed aspects of the discovery process, prepared for depositions, conducted significant research and other trial preparation activities.
- Drafting briefing to support remand to state court and defend a motion to dismiss as well as drafting discovery requests and working with experts in a matter involving project development and state land use and zoning issues.
- Representing a Third Party Defendant in a CERCLA matter as part of a Joint Defense Group.
- Counseling clients on regulatory and enforcement matters involving the Department of Transportation (FMCSA and PHMSAA), Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Interior (BSEE, BOEM, BLM), and other state and federal agencies.
- Advising clients on changing legislative and regulatory frameworks at the state, federal and international levels. For example, providing a comprehensive review of the regulatory framework for electronic waste in certain Latin American countries and tracking domestic and international regulatory developments for shale gas development and hydraulic fracturing.
- Counseling clients on environmental aspects of transactions: including conducting due diligence, reviewing contract documents, aiding clients in developing risk allocation and liability mitigation options, and advising international and domestic clients on U.S. law regarding contaminated properties and voluntary cleanup programs.
- Aiding clients in the permit transfer and notification process following a sale or merger.
Prior to her legal career, Hana spent seven years working in political campaign communications and research. Hana also represents pro bono clients in immigration law matters. Hana is an active member of the Women’s Council on Energy and the Environment.
Experience listed here includes work done at prior law firms.