- State University of New York (B.A., summa cum laude, 1993)
- Pace University School of Law (J.D., summa cum laude, 1997, Pace Environmental Law Review articles editor)
Bar Admissions & Memberships
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Michael Murphy’s practice is primarily concentrated on energy, land use, regulatory permitting, environmental compliance, contract disputes and litigation matters. Mr. Murphy has represented private clients in a variety of regulatory matters, including permit applications to federal, state, and local agencies, review under New York’s State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA), contaminated site remediation programs in New York and New Jersey, administrative enforcement actions and other compliance matters. He also represents private clients in major power plant project proposals. His litigation experience on behalf of private clients includes contract disputes, Superfund, SEQRA, and common law claims based on negligence, trespass, nuisance, fraud, and misrepresentation.
Mr. Murphy has also represented municipal clients on a variety of matters such as governmental remediation cost reimbursement applications, solid waste disposal programs, contract negotiations and interpretation (including long-term solid waste management and disposal agreements, inter-municipal solid waste agreements and municipal property lease agreements) and litigation matters concerning real estate, contract and takings disputes.
In addition to traditional power plant projects, Mr. Murphy’s experience, on behalf of private or municipal clients, has involved waste-to-energy and waste gasification-to-energy projects.
Mr. Murphy has been selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2017-2018 editions of The Best Lawyers in America
and the 2011-2016 editions of Super Lawyers.
He is also recognized by Chambers USA
as a leading practitioner in environmental law.
Recent matters include:
- Representation of a private company, including a successful motion to dismiss, against challenge to a long-term solid waste facilities operating agreement between the company and an upstate New York municipality.
- Representation of private clients in relation to contaminated sites in New Jersey under its LSRP program and in New York under its inactive hazardous waste site program.
- Obtained complete dismissal on behalf of a municipal client of all claims in arbitration where the claimant sought in excess of $300 million in damages and to enforce a series of agreements in relation to a proposed waste-to-ethanol facility.
- Representation of a developer of the first major power plant on Long Island in four decades to shepherd the project through a comprehensive SEQRA review and to obtain environmental regulatory permits and local zoning approvals, including special permit, site plan approvals, variances and waivers.
- Representation of a municipal client with respect to a future long-term solid waste disposal contract, and disputes that arise under the current solid waste disposal contract with a waste-to-energy facility.
- Representation of a municipal client in litigation matters against other municipalities seeking to enforce contract rights against other municipalities under an inter-municipal agreement concerning solid waste disposal.
- Representation of clients in several cases relating to contaminated properties.
- Defense of clients in administrative enforcement proceedings relating to compliance issues at a variety of facilities such as landfills and power plants.
- Representation of a municipal client to secure a favorable settlement that ensures performance by a private contractor of an agreement to provide certain recycling services to the municipality.