Wireless & Telecommunications Industry
Beveridge & Diamond, P.C. has worked extensively with wireless and telecommunications companies and their trade groups on a wide-range of environmental compliance, land use and product stewardship issues. Our work is informed by our extensive experience with the electronics industry, as well as our knowledge of the unique challenges facing carriers, handset manufacturers and tower companies operating in the United States and internationally.
Examples of our recent work include:
- Advising handset and component manufacturers on material ban legislation in Europe (RoHS Directive) impacting the design and marketing of wireless products.
- Advising the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) on the design and launch of the industry’s voluntary cell phone collection and recycling program, “ Wireless...The New Recyclable™
- Representing the wireless industry in negotiations at the international level under the Basel Convention on the drafting of new global guidelines for the design, collection, refurbishment, recycling and transboundary movements of used and end-of-life mobile phones world-wide.
- Advising companies on new and proposed state product take-back and material restriction mandates in the U.S.
- Successfully defending carriers in major federal enforcement actions brought by EPA under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), the Clean Air Act (CAA) and the Clean Water Act (CWA).
- Representing tower companies and licensed carriers before local permit-granting authorities to secure permits and approvals to construct and maintain telecommunications towers.
- Representing tower companies and licensed carriers in state and federal court litigation overturning permit denials or defending appeals of approvals for telecommunications facilities.
- Advising leading telecommunications companies on local, state, and federal permitting issues involved in laying of cables in the U.S. and in international waters.
- Defending government enforcement actions for permit violations during cable installation and defending against claims by fishers alleging loss of fishing revenue attributed to cable installation activities.
- Designing and supporting EIATRACK ( www.eiatrack.com
), the leading online industry resource for tracking and analyzing product related design, labeling, take-back and recycling mandates worldwide.
Other Telecommunications and Cable Industry Projects
Beveridge & Diamond has served as the lead environmental and land use counsel for a wide variety of telecommunication projects, including fixed facility and marine landing facilities in Morro Bay and Manchester, California, St. Thomas and St. Croix, USVI, Puerto Rico, Florida, and New Jersey. Beveridge & Diamond also advised a working group of telecommunications and cable companies on CEQA compliance strategies and options for California.