Insurance Coverage & Recovery
Beveridge & Diamond, P.C. helps its policyholder clients maximize their insurance coverage nationally and internationally. Our attorneys have years of experience counseling clients on proactive measures to enhance the potential for coverage under their business insurance programs, and we have recovered hundreds of millions of insurance dollars for clients facing liability and losses in areas such as:
- Environmental and Cleanup
- Toxic Tort
- Directors & Officers (D&O)
- First Party Property, including Business Interruption
- Intellectual Property
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Vendor/Vendee, Shipping, and Storage
We also advise clients on the sufficiency of their insurance programs and negotiate insurance policies to best protect their needs and effectuate transactions. Our goals are to maximize our clients’ insurance coverage, obtain recovery in the most economical manner possible and utilize insurance creatively in solving clients’ problems. We prefer negotiated settlements of disputes with insurance companies but have a proven record of success in coverage litigation when it is necessary.
Beveridge & Diamond has represented numerous corporate and governmental policyholders seeking insurance coverage for bodily injury, property damage, financial loss and other alleged liabilities. Our clients include:
- Manufacturers, retailers, and wholesalers in diverse industries such as:
- Oil and Gas
- Building products
- Pulp and paper
- Medical device
- Food and beverage
- Hotel operators
- Property owners
- Trade associations
- Financial services
Practice Chair: John Kazanjian
- Favorably resolving coverage disputes over a wide range of complex environmental liabilities and achieving significant recoveries for clients in diversified industry sectors. We obtained insurance settlements in these cases both with and without coverage litigation.
- Successfully obtained coverage for clients facing asbestos and other mass tort liabilities, with and without the necessity of litigation.
- Successfully litigated and negotiated substantial recoveries of D&O insurance coverage on behalf of companies in underlying securities actions and in disputes between companies and former directors and officers over competing rights to the coverage.
- Secured coverage for major property losses resulting from fire, explosion, building collapse and storms, including business interruption loss.
- Secured precedent-setting appellate rulings on key coverage issues involving an insurance company’s duty to defend its policyholder, trigger of coverage and allocation.
- Maximized our clients’ insurance coverage through favorable court rulings permitting recovery under lost or missing insurance policies.
- Successfully thwarted insurance company preemptive litigation tactics against our clients by persuading courts to enforce the policyholder’s venue preference in coverage disputes.
- Conducted audits and reviews of our clients’ insurance programs, identifying problematic areas and negotiating advantageous policy language providing greater predictability and reducing coverage disputes.
- Successfully negotiated environmental insurance policies, such as cost-cap and pollution legal liability coverages, in connection with the transfer and sale of contaminated properties.
- Achieving coverage for clients who are "additional insureds" under other parties’ insurance.