Diversity & Inclusion at Beveridge & Diamond
We view diversity and inclusion as business imperatives, and we welcome and embrace the differences in our attorneys and employees. A dedicated Diversity Principal (partner) guides our efforts, working with a Diversity & Inclusion Committee, the Firm’s Management Committee, and Managing Principal.
The Firm has adopted the following mission statement for our diversity and inclusion efforts:
Beveridge & Diamond supports the success and professional advancement of all people in the Firm. We focus on attracting, developing and retaining diverse talent, and we strive to create equal opportunities for individuals to live up to their potential and feel included as valued members of the Firm. We are committed to our continued leadership in promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession and are dedicated to working with our clients and communities to do so.
Recent highlights of our efforts and accomplishments include:
- The Firm was honored in September 2015 with the Defense Research Institute's Law Firm Diversity Award
- The Firm was honored in July 2013 with an MCCA Thomas L. Sager Award for Diversity Accomplishments
- The Firm was honored in February 2013 with an AT&T Legal Department Diversity Award
for its efforts and accomplishments in this area.
- The Firm founded the Thurgood Marshall Opportunity Program with the Maryland Office of the Attorney General
, a program that provides internships to diverse first year law students.
- 25% of our Principals are women as compared with a national average of 18%.
- 50% of our Associates are women.
- 50% of our entry-level fall Associate class in 2014 were women.
- 66% of the lawyers who joined the Firm in 2014 are women or minorities.
- Every year since 2008, at least half of our Associates and Of Counsel promoted to Principal have been women or minority attorneys.
- 88% of respondents to an internal survey conducted in December 2012 agreed or strongly agreed that the Firm is a better place to work because of its diversity and inclusion efforts.
- In 2014, the Firm undertook a firm-wide diversity and inclusion assessment and followed up with training and conversations about the assessment in every office.
- The Firm participates in the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity's (LCLD) 1L scholar program and law school mentoring program. Two students from the 1L scholar program spent their summers with us in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- The Firm hosts a Howard University Environmental & Energy Law career forum targeting diverse students in the Washington, DC area.
- The Firm participates in recruiting programs arranged by the National Black Law Students Association, the National Bar Association (NBA), the National LGBT Bar Association, and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA).
Organizations we support through membership and sponsorship include:
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Diversity & Flexibility Alliance
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Defense Research Institute Diversity for Success Conference
- Diversity in Environmental Law Series at Environmental Law Institute
- Women’s Bar Association Initiative on Advancement and Retention of Women of Color
- National Association of Women Judges
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Charting Your Own Course
- Council on Legal Education Opportunity
- National Bar Association
- Center for Legal Inclusiveness (CLI)
- Just the Beginning Foundation
- Bay Area Urban Debate League
To learn more, please contact Beveridge & Diamond’s Diversity Principal Paula Schauwecker
, (212) 702-5407.